[Wikipedia-l] minor improvements to the system. aggravated.

Hunter Peress hfastjava at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 16:08:20 UTC 2003

Hi .I tried to begin a relationship with one of the developers, but it mainly ended in me waiting
for months and then finally repetitively using AIM (instant chat) to drill information out of him.
1 of my bugs was dealt with, 2 were ignored, and then Brion became extremely confrontational with
me after a spat over some image copyright issues. Anyway See:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk%3ABrion_VIBBER_(archive) (search for "hfastedge" multiple
times on the page)

I have 3 main improvements that I would like to implement:

1: make chatting better OR (the fact that ~~~ and ~~~~ points to user: instead of user_talk: is
stupid, as ONLY changes to user_talk shows you a global notification)
"""(from an unresponded-to convo with BrionV)
 As per the This bug (
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=674724&group_id=34373&atid=411195) Could
you please address it. The most conservative solution would be for changes on the user: page to
activate the "you have new messages" feature as well. Remember, my original plan was for ~~~ and
~~~~ to refer to the talk page, but u argued against this. If u argue still, how about a ~~ or a
~~~~~ that points to the talk page.
"""

2: A feature to change collections of links. Namely suppose you move an article, and want the
areas of text that link to this article to instantly reflect the new name. So, I would like to
code this in such a way that it will bring up an interface that lets you edit all in one page each
reference to this article. Namely, today I was browsing wikipedia and i came accross this:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau-Foucault_Apparatus  well, i felt the article was pretty poor,
so I did some googling, and it turns out that Fizeau and Focault worked independantly on the
projects. Because of this, I felt there was a need to move the article. But looking at "what links
here" immediately frustated me because what I propose would make this task of verifying the
textual integrity of the articles after you change the name of an article much MUCH easier. And im
not really sure right now if its a good idae  to go a step further and have an
instantaneously-change-all-textual-links-to-new-name-without-this-human-verification-process-that-I
-just-laid-out.

3: slight improvements to the history sections. Namely: besides a "page history" link, each
article should also have, on the top level, a link to the diff between the cur and last revision.
Next: is that every user contributions page should have links to the cur, the last diff, AND the
diff of the last edit that user made.

Ok folks. Remember, that im coming to this group because I unfortunately require the judgement and
supposed fairness of bureacracy.

If anyone's curious, Im:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hfastedge
I've been on the  http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Most_active_Wikipedians for many months
in a row.

AND im a capable coder. See this little invention that i've been running for about 6 months now:
http://home.sus.mcgill.ca/~hperes/uniwiki/date.html