[Wikipedia-l] references

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 12 17:23:20 UTC 2003

Matt M. wrote:

>Regarding references: I generally only list multiple references when dealing
>with a highly contentious issue. It's a habit developed on the Straight Dope
>Message Board where the word "Cite?" can strike fear into the heart of any
>polemicist. As for articles that are largely factually based (geography, for
>example) I don't usually see the need, unless, at the outside, I'm exposing
>some rare and little-known fact. Basically, any fact that someone would be
>highly inclined to question is a fact I'm gonna put a citation for.

There is a second reason for citing references even in non-controversial
subjects.  There is always a practical limit to how much can be put into
an encyclopedia article, or there may be potential copyright or
trademark violation issues.  Where a reader has found a Wikipedia
article to be absolutely scintillating he may feel inspired to look more
deeply into the subject.  Providing references is then a service to the
reader.  In such circumstances providing references may not be a
necessity but it should still be strongly encouraged.

Eclecticology