[Wikipedia-l] please support offsite imags

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Apr 10 08:35:00 UTC 2003

> Over these last few months, it has been frustrating when GFDL righteous
> wikipedians nix each others images because of fear of copyright violation.
> This respect for the GFDL which is extremely vigorous, but I feel it is also
> very harmful to wikipedia.

You seem to be alone in this regard.

1) You do not just want to "link" to a picture on another site, you can
already do this now - you want to embed it and present it as if it were
your own. news.google.com at least auto-rescales the photos and hosts them
on its own servers. Not doing this wastes other people's bandwidth (costs
them money, which can get us into trouble) and makes us dependent on their
servers' reliability. As the number of offsite images grows, this means
Wikipedia becomes increasingly fragmented and unreliable.

2) You call the respect for the GFDL "very harmful to Wikipedia". Well,
perhaps you do not understand that Wikipedia is an open content project
and intends to stay that way. The more non-free images we include, the
harder it will become to distribute and re-use Wikipedia articles.
Building an encyclopedia is only half of our mission -- our encyclopedia
needs to be freely usable by everyone.

3) Offsite images invite photo vandals who post such nice pictures as
http://goatse.cx -- that was one of the reasons they were turned off in
the first place.

Regards,

Erik