[Wikipedia-l] Do you want the complete Wikipedia on your handheld? Read here how to do this.

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Apr 6 21:56:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 11:59, Erik Zachte wrote:
> I have converted the whole English Wikipedia to a TomeRaider file.
> The complete file is now available on my Pocket PC.

Cool!

> I chose to strip all meta info (discussions, user pages, etc).

Be sure to include a URL to the original site for each page.

>  Images are not supported.

Note that some images include alt text, which should be preserved:

  [[Image:filename.ext|Alt text if image not available]]

> I wrote a perl script to accomplish this. Unfortunately I do not have
> the web space or bandwidth to offer the file for download from my site.
>
> So either any user or the Wikipedia support team will have to redo the
> conversion. Conversion to a TomeRaider input file is completely
> automated. Conversion plus import in TomeRaider takes about 90 minutes
> on my 500 MHz PC.

Creating the TomeRaider file seems to require proprietary Windows-only
software, but if there's interest we could periodically produce the
converted dumps which can be used as input to it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)