[Wikipedia-l] Re: server down

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 14:02:41 UTC 2003

On Sunday 06 April 2003 05:00 am, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
> aparently, the wikipedia server is down.  This hasn't been reported on the
> list, although this might have been because the email server is down too.

You might be surprised to know that the Wikipedia encyclopedia and the
Wikipedia mail server are both on the same box.

Could all the mailing lists work just fine on a separate cheapo AMD K6-II 500
MHZ Linux box with two 4 gig hard drives, 256MB of SDRAM and a couple network
cards? If so, I hereby donate such a dinosaur to serve as a mail server (of
course I'll have to test these components to see if they still work so the
specs may change - somebody else will have to configure the mail server part
though).

Not being able to talk to each other as a group during a crash like this isn't
exactly an optimal way to run a project the size of Wiki(p/m)edia.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma
The usual at [[March 29]]