[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com: [WikiEN-l] How to ban a logged-in user

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Fri Apr 4 18:21:01 UTC 2003

At 07:06 PM 4/4/03 +0200, Karl wrote:
>Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:
>
> > Since this would be a system-wide change, not English-only, we should
> > discuss it over here, too.
>
>You will not solve a single "problem" by banning.  All these problems
>are communication problems or these involved parties are simply psycho
>cases needing our support.

[[Wikipedia is not]] a mental health treatment facility. People with mental
problems may benefit from many kinds of support, but it is not our mission
or obligation to provide them.

There really are people who enjoy spraying obscenities on other people's
walls and Web sites. If you know how to stop them from wanting that, you
should publish the technique, preferably in a peer-reviewed journal so it
will receive wide circulation. In the meantime, we repaint walls, buy
paint-resistant
subway cars, and otherwise prevent and deal with vandalism.

--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org
http://www.redbird.org