[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Software Assisted Context Resolution

Gary Curtis wikiman at freemail.com.au
Tue Apr 1 02:11:30 UTC 2003

At Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:29:58 -0800 (PST),
Axel Boldt (axelboldt at yahoo.com) wrote:
> --- Gary Curtis <wikiman at freemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > It is for Jack or Jill Average, who adds a link to [[mercury]]
> > with little thought that there are so many mercury's.
>
> Yes, that's a real problem; when linking to something, you can
> never be
> sure  whether the target is a disambiguation page or not.
>
> Here's a slightly simplified version of your proposal: whenver you
> hit
> "Preview", the software presents you with a list of all those
> links on
> the current page that point to disambiguation pages. Ideally, each
> such
> disambiguation page would be given along with a list of all the
> "real"
> pages the disambiguation page points to, to make the fixing of the
> current article easier.
>
> Axel

Yeah, I thought about this.  I think it would make the Preview"
page too busy. That is what led me to the think it should be  on
a subsequent (avoidable) page.

As the mod to the original page would already be saved when this
proposed page is run, any mods to links should probably be blocked
from the RC list.

Gaz