[Wikipedia-l] Re: Policy

Jeroen Heijmans j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl
Mon Sep 30 19:22:32 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>I didn't say that was a good option. But let me ask you; why do you
>ignore the explicit policy?

The policy I follow is the "de facto" policy. These are mostly based on
the policy on the pages, but if I see that it is common use to do
something slightly different (and by common I mean it is done by other
sysops), I'll accept it as "de facto" policy. I do occasionally check
for changes on the policy pages, but when these seem to be made by
individuals rather than by consensus or majority vote, I take the same
liberty as the person that singlehandedly updated the policy and ignore it.

>No. Direct editing should be the first choice; not the only choice. And
>you're confusing two different threads here; I was adding to Engels'
>list, not delineating my own conception.

OK, from your previous mails it appeared your opinion was that direct
editing was (in your eyes) the only choice - but that's apparently not
what you meant.

>There is an equivalent to the NPOV, and that is consensus. Your belief
>that changing policy to your personal opinion would automatically mess
>things up is based on flawed reasoning.

How exactly do we reach consensus by just editing policy pages right away?