[Intlwiki-l] [Wikipedia-l] embassies and diplomats

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Fri Sep 27 13:03:00 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:
>The original purpose of Meta was to balkanize discussion about the project
>from the Wikipedia Recent Changes page. It was clear to me that would
>inevitably lead (with the alternative of the mailing list) to the decay and
>disuse of meta-discussion in the WikiWiki Way. And it has.
>
>This can be repaired by unbalkanizing it and by unbalkanizing the mailing
>list. Users should be able to include both meta and the mailing list updates
>into the Recent Changes functionality.

That's not an idea I would like at all.  I go to wikipedia when I want to write or edit articles, or do mindless updates like on the year or country articles.  I go to the mailing list expecting policy discussion or explanation of motives, etc.  I go to metapedia expecting hopelessly POV essays which typically don't merit response.

In my eyes, wikipedia is the workplace, the mailing list is the lounge, and metapedia is the storage closet.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  When I want to work, I don't always want to chitchat, and when I want to chitchat, I usually don't want to work.

kq