[Wikipedia-l] embassies and diplomats

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Fri Sep 27 02:17:00 UTC 2002

Anthere wrote:
 > Still, some questions
> arose on the fr.wiki about why *you* were .org and we
> were .com (ain't that funny retrospectively ?)

That's just the simplest way to deal with moving the various wikis from
the old server (which the developers don't have direct access to) to the
new server (which the developers do have direct access to). As wikis get
moved over, they get the .org address (which points always to the new
server).

> not affiliated with these businesses ? construed as an
> endorsement ? aïe aïe aïe
>
> what is that supposed to imply ??? somehow, just
> listing them, isnot that a "sort of" affiliation ?
> Er, I think here, when a site such as Amazon has a
> link on your site, it is clear to most you have a deal
> together. Especially on a dot com.

That's exactly why we have the disclaimer: we _don't_ have any kind of
deal with Amazon, or Barnes & Noble, or Pricescan, or the Library of
Congress or whoever else Wikipedia unilaterally chooses to link to there.

We _aren't_ advertising their services in exchange for money, we _don't_
get a cut of the sale if you buy a book from them. We link to them
because we think they might be useful to the reader, not because we
(or is it Jimbo's Mercedes fund ;) are being paid to link them.

(And really, those links should be able to vary by language.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)