[Wikipedia-l] http://tribute.wikipedia.org/

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 02:07:57 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 05:44 pm, The Cunctator wrote:
> About the only page that is expressly not NPOV and can't be reasonably
> reconfigured as such is [[September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack/In
> Memoriam]].
>
> All tribute/comments for individual casualties have been moved to the
> Talk page for the individual, which while perhaps not perfect, is
> certainly within the scope of Talk (opinion which relates to and informs
> the entry).

Who the hell did this? I'm on record for wanting these pages moved but it the
ultimate of rude behavior to delete a tribute page created by someone who
lost a family member or friend in 9/11. Now when come back all they see is a
blank page since talk links are non-obvious. Shouldn't we consider the
feelings of the people who created these pages?

> Two: what to do? The best solution, as far as I can see it, is to
> have http://sep11.wikipedia.org/ set up with some version of the In
> Memoriam page as the homepage, and an automatic redirect from the
> www.wikipedia.org/ url to that.

Moving would be a good idea along with having URL redirects, but I think a
9/11 project would be way too focused. Why not set-up
http://tribute.wikipedia.org/ instead? Then that would be the place for all
mannor of tribute pages.

> About the only other pages sep11.wikipedia.org needs to contain
> (non-NPOV) are the tributes (note: not the biographical entries).
> Everything else should transparently link back to wikipedia.

I'm still /very/ uncomfortable with having wiki redirects going from
Wikipedia which aims to be NPOV to an inherently POV project (which includes
Metapedia). This is just way too seemless and it could be a way for people to
get around our NPOV policy if the transition is so transparent.

I strongly suggest that if we are going to have inter-wiki redirects and page
moves, then this would be a feature only available to sysops. That way the
work can get done but we don't have to worry much about people abusing the
inter-wiki redirects.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)