[Wikipedia-l] ads on user pages

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Sep 25 19:56:29 UTC 2002

Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:
> If you cannot comprehend that at SOME POINT money has to be
> made,

I think that the only person who could validly claim that "at SOME
POINT money has to be made" is me -- since I'm paying all the actual
cash bills around here.  But I don't say that, and in fact I say the
exact opposite -- no money is really NEEDED for the immediate future.

Perhaps he's planning to give the money for my kid's college education
fund?  *grin*

So, that argument is pretty much a non-starter.  On the other hand,
user pages have been, to a degree at least, been generally considered
the province of the user.  I'm inclined to say that the content of
those pages are subject to "raw wiki rules" which means, hey, delete
it and put it back until someone gives up.  But I'm not sure if that's
the most useful attitude.

The only concern I have about banning advertisements in user pages is
that it commits us to enforcing content-based restrictions on those
pages, which are generally NOT incluced in our NPOV mission.

--Jimbo