[Wikipedia-l] RE: F***

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Tue Sep 24 18:15:14 UTC 2002

|--- Neil Harris <usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:

|> Link all the random obscenities to a single
|> "obscenity"
|> article, which gives the whole subject a thorough
|> treatment... and that
|> includes etymology, history and usage of the
|> commonest / most vulgar as
|> in the [[Fuck]] article.
|
|I don't think [[obscenity]] is the proper article
|title though, since it has a specific definition in
|law which does not include profanities. The general
|overview should be at [[profanity]], which is where it
|is already. Nevertheless, I think important words like
|"fuck" and "nigger" deserve their own encyclopedic
|treatment, especially since other encyclopedias shy
|away from them.
|
|Note that "Wikipedia is not a dictionary" does not
|mean that we can't have encyclopedia articles about
|certain words.
|
|Axel

Axel is correct as to the need for articles on certain individual
words.

We can also have a constellation of articles like [[taboo]],
[[profanity]], and, now, [[obscenity]] to cover different angles on
the same basic subject.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88