[Wikipedia-l] Deletions

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Mon Sep 23 20:16:17 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:
> Some of the harm in deleting weak stubs:
> * discourages potential contributors who see their work deleted, instead of
> improved
> * prevents people who find stubs to goad them to improve the entry from
> doing so
> * hard to quantify weakness--how "decent" must the entry be?
> * hides measure of interest in the entry
>
> We need to either amend the stated policy or change current deletion
> behavior; either way, we should discuss these issues first.

For a change, I agree with all that Cunc is saying here.

Khendon wrote:
 > I'm not convinced it works that way, inexperienced wikipedian that I
 > am. Speaking personally, if I notice a "full" link then I'll likely as
 > not pass over it. If I notice an "empty" link then I'm much more
 > likely to consider whether I could write an article on the subject.

Speaking personally, I work the exact opposite way. A "full" link on a
subject that interests me will almost certainly get followed to see
what's there (and I then may correct / expand / replace completely with
new text), while an "empty" link is guaranteed nothing, and much more
likely to be ignored unless I'm already planning to write on that
particular subject.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)