[Wikipedia-l] Re: Pre-January edit histories restored

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sat Sep 21 21:17:46 UTC 2002

Andre Engels wrote:
> Wondering how it's possible that Larry scores so low, my first guess is that
> the software considers his old edits as being anonymous. Either no user can
> be connected to those edits, or 'LMS' is not recognized by the software as
> being a user. It's not just Larry either - Jimbo only appears at #155 and
> again at #196.

Yeah, I forgot to take that into account. Login names that don't have an
exactly same named equivalent on the new system got imported marked as
anonymous (internal user id number = 0). I've redone the query to
include anonymous edits (we have some very active non-logged in users as
well!) However it still doesn't amalgamate multiple accounts for the
same person.

Larry_Sanger is at #31 with 2155 edits.

Also keep in mind that many early edits were automatically deleted by
the usemod software, so a lot of pre-Fall 2001 stuff is still going to
be underrepresented.

For the curious, the queries were:
SELECT count(*),cur_user_text FROM cur GROUP BY cur_user_text
SELECT count(*),old_user_text FROM old GROUP BY old_user_text

I then dropped them through a little perl script to add them, sort them
and spit out a table. Probably could be done more efficiently, but meh.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)