[Wikipedia-l] The meta question

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 19:03:52 UTC 2002

On Saturday 21 September 2002 03:31 am, you wrote:
>Brion wrote
> >Also, it's been suggested that it might be nice to have a way to move
> >(non-)articles from the Wikipedia (English, or I suppose any language --
> >I don't see any reason why meta shouldn't be multilingual) to the meta
> >wiki with edit histories intact.
> >
> >Is this desireable?
>
> This is all eminently desirable, IMO.

I agree. It would be /very/ nice to move 9/11 tribute pages and their
histories over to metapedia.

> >What about redirects from the main wiki(s) to the meta wiki? I've seen
> >people try to do it occasionally (it doesn't work, you just get a link
> >following the mysterious and unhelpful "1. REDIRECT").
>
> That would go with the moving, presumably.
>

> -- Toby

I /really/ don't think this would be a good idea at all. Metapedia is a more
or less a traditional wiki with few rules. Most notably there is no NPOV rule
for Metapedia. Therefore POV crap which is not at all appropriate for
Wikipedia will simply live at Metapedia and be seamlessly linked to and from
Wikipedia if interwiki redirects exist. This could only lead to confusion
after Wikipedia and metapedia are both on the same software -- the main
difference between the two would only be the logo.

In addition to /not/ having interwiki redirects to Metapedia I think it would
be a very good idea to have a light gray background for all unspecified
namespace pages (the equivalent of the article namespace in Wikipedia).

That way, the user is immediately notified that something is different while
on Metapedia.

If there are totally different rules then pages should be obviously different.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)