[Wikipedia-l] Block repeated copyright violator?

Rosa Williams aprilrosanina at charter.net
Sat Sep 21 16:02:05 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
> I blocked someone for repeatedly inserting text from a copyrighted website
> about Amiga operating systems. Should someone be blocked for that?
>
> phma

In my opinion?  Absolutely they should be blocked. This is not like my
too-quick-on-the-draw proposal of earlier which was - I now think rightly -
thoroughly criticized by the list participants. This situation conforms to
the standard for calling something "vandalism":  *repeated* efforts to
insert non-useful (and in this case actively harmful)  text.

I mean, we have the blurb about not inserting copyright text in boldface on
each edit page.  They had every opportunity to post something on a talk page
if they thought the material was legitimately usable; instead they (I
presume) just chose to repeat it rather than discuss it. I think your action
completly appropriate.

-- April