[Wikipedia-l] facts not conjecture

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Sep 21 10:48:36 UTC 2002

Gradmama wrote:

>Jimmy Wales wrote:

>>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>>Seems fair.  One pro-Zionist site, one pro-Arab site.

>>But at least the 'whatreallyhappened' site is completely demented.
>>And fairness is surely not a matter of counting.

Agreement on both counts.

>But since this is an encyclopedia I would expect to find an unbiased account
>of the background of the Palestinian/Israeli situation--"encyclopedia"
>suggests definition...if I want opinions I will turn to monographs or other
>sources clearly identifiable as opinion.

This is what our article has (or at least should;
it depends on how the edit wars are doing).
What's "fair" is that we're linked to by both sides,
which suggests some amount of success in this NPOV effort.

And to clear up any lingering confusion
(since there seems to be some on other replies):
These are web pages that link to us; we do *not* link to them.

>As a newcomer to Wikipedia I must say that I am highly impressed with the
>effort.

As the #31 editor since conversion to Phase II, I must say thanks!

-- Toby