[Wikipedia-l] user interface design

Brion Vibber vibber at aludra.usc.edu
Sun Sep 15 21:19:11 UTC 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:
> Elian wrote:
> >In my opinion an immediate redirect to the page where I came from (maybe
> >with a line "successfully logged in" on top of the page, if this is
> >technically possible) would make more sense.
>
> Yes, but I think in this case, you should probably be redirected to the image description page instead:  I think the idea is to go to that page and announce where you got the picture from so that we know we have the right to use it.

Having recently uploaded 58 maps in a row for the counties of California,
I have to agree with Elian. The process is very non-streamlined as it is;
remember also that the image description page starts as whatever you put
in the description field when you upload -- so that's an opportunity to
start with the basics.

In phase II, the "upload succeeded" message came up, and the working
upload form came up right below it on the same page. (So did a list of
every file that was uploaded, which became a bit of a problem after a
while!) Having message & form (but not list) would, I think, be the
best behavior.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)