[Wikipedia-l] order of lists of works & prizes

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 15 19:42:58 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:

> Of the 5 nobel prize pages, 3 start from the present day, 2 go forward
> from 1901.
>
> I found a page on filmographies etc which suggest that lists start
> from the most recent item:
> http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikipedia_talk:Filmographies_and_Discographies
>

> A comment on the talk page Wikipedia talk:Filmographies and
> Discographies raises the fact that this order may have been influenced
> by the IMDB's filmographies.
>
> IMO lists of prize awards or works are in a sense timelines, and as
> such should go forwards.
> what are your opinions?

I agree with you on this.  I shared the work to put all the academy
award pages in normal time line order, and I am sometimes tempted to fix
the Nobel Prize pages in the same way.

The article which you cite suggests that copyright may be an issue.
 Original ways of arranging material can be copyright, but there is
nothing original about a basic chronological or alphabetical sequence
going either forwards or backwards.  That issue's a red herring.

One other advantage of a forward chronological list is that it makes
some annotations about the award much easier.  Using [[Academy Awards]]
as an example, it is much easier to insert something like "This year the
name of this award changed to ..." in a forward context than by trying
to go up on the down escalator.

Eclecticology