[Wikipedia-l] Minimum and maximum article size

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Sep 14 18:52:27 UTC 2002

Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:

> At some point it makes sense to include them in the main article: we
> don't need a separate article
> to mention that, say, New York's City Hall has a nice facade and
> boring back because the builders
> thought nobody would ever live north of it.
>
> Similarly, Nampa's landmarks and history probably should be in the
> article about Nampa unless
> they're of great interest and should be written about at length. A
> statue of a president doesn't need
> its own article, for example, though it might include links to the
> sculptor and the president.

For me this also opens up a question about optimum article size.  There
is a large body of opinion in Wikipedia that frowns upon stubs, but we
also have a growing collection of very long articles that could probably
stand to be split up into articles of a more reasonable size.

As things stand [[Atlas Shrugged]], [[Worms computer games]], and
[[RFC]] all link to a long list of pages that could easily be consolidated.

In the city examples above New York City's article is likely to grow
much faster than Nampa's, but a collection of guidelines illustrating
when and how to subdivide would be interesting.

Eclecticology