[Wikipedia-l] "tap on the shoulder" to newbs

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat Sep 14 18:28:15 UTC 2002

I've been noticing a number of IP users making mistakes on their early
edits, such as plural names.
Not all of them are RecentChangesJunkies like us, and some may not even
be familiar with RC, so they may not notice notes we leave them in the
RC log.

I gather that when we ban a user, they get a message when they try to
next edit, explaining why.
However, in many cases, users are not causing malicious damage, they are
just making minor blunders, which old hands have to clean up after them.

Would it be helpful if we could give new IPs a "tap" if we spot a mistake?
By that, I mean a *friendly*, *welcoming* message that would appear at
the top of their next edit box. Hopefully, that may reduce the numberof
things we have to clean up.
Something like this:

Hello, IP {IP NUMBER} Thank you for your recent contribution to the
Wikipedia.

Another user has noticed your edit, on the {ARTICLE} article, and wishes
to alert you to the following point:
{INSERT MESSAGE}

You can respond on the {TALK PAGE} for that article.
You might also want to read up on {naming conventions, etc}
We hope you will {REGISTER} a user name and join the other active
wikipedians.