[Wikipedia-l] Common typos (was: Tucci528)

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Sep 14 04:04:43 UTC 2002

elian wrote:

> I see the problem, but imagine this like a search and
> replace function in a texteditor: I usually don't hit "replace all", but
> look at every particular instance and decide, if it should be replaced.
>
> And something like this, if used in a responsible way (maybe only by
> admins) would be a very valuable tool for the wikipedia.
>
> So imagine a list of search results, all showing a few lines a content
> around to decide if it's a mispelling (and a link to the article if this
> is not enough information for you), and a checkbox beside each result to
> include it in the replace or not. All still depends on human judgement,
> but facilitates the editing a lot.

You mean a spellchecker :)

One solution is to take an article that you think has a LOT of typoes in
it and run it through the built-in spellchecker in Word or another word
processer. But then you still have to edit the page...

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

And on the seventh day, God said 'What my world needs is a creature
that will truly appreciate it in all its facets' -
and so He made the kitten.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: