[Wikipedia-l] The 100,000 articles goal

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Sat Sep 14 00:17:47 UTC 2002

Currently, the introductory sentences on the main page read

 Welcome to Wikipedia, a collaborative project to produce a complete
 encyclopedia from scratch. We started in January 2001 and already
 have 43165 articles. We want to make over 100,000 complete articles,
 so let's get to work!

I find the 100,000 article sentence out of place:

* The goal is to create a complete, high-quality and free
  encyclopedia. Nobody knows whether that requires 80,000 or 800,000
  articles. Nor should anybody care.

* The "100,000 article goal" fosters an unhealthy obsession with
  statistics, and I'm afraid it can lead people to create stubs, just
  to help bring the project "closer to this goal", which is of course
  not its goal at all.

I vote for simply removing this "100,000 article" sentence.

Axel