Using pseudonyms, was: [Wikipedia-l] Helga banned

Jason Khendon Williams jason at jasonandali.org.uk
Fri Sep 13 08:13:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:02:46PM +0200, Jaap van Ganswijk wrote:
> I think that if Wikipedia is to grow into a serious
> movement, nay institute even, it's essential that
> people adhere more to netiquette.

Can somebody explain *exactly* what the problem with pseudonyms is? I
use a pseudonym on wikipedia, but my full name is available on my
User: page. It's just a convenient identifier, rather than an
attempt to obscure my identity. If anything, I'm *more* identifiable
by "Khendon" than I am by "Jason Williams", since it's far easier
to find out about by me using the former name than the latter.

So... is the objection one of transparent identity, or of aesthetics,
or some other issue?
--
Jason "Khendon" Williams
jason at jasonandali.org.uk    http://www.jasonandali.org.uk/jason/