Using pseudonyms, was: [Wikipedia-l] Helga banned

Jim McKeeth jim at mckeeth.org
Thu Sep 12 21:41:44 UTC 2002

Netiquette, at least as far as I have seen, does not say that everyone has
to use their real names in on-line communities.  In fact it supports the
opposite, that we should respect individuals requests for privacy and treat
them with respect that every individual disserves.  I have been in the
on-line community for many years (before the web and most people knew what
the Internet was I ran in BBS circles) and handles (pseudonyms) have always
been respected where appropriate.  A community like this is a perfect
example of such an appropriate use of handles.

Granted some people do not like to use handles, but that is their
CHOICE.  If they choose a handle or not should not effect our opinion in a
community.  You raise the point of financial transactions, but we are all
volunteers here.  No one is paying anyone money.

In a community setting like this absolute identity is not necessary.  In
fact, in some ways I prefer dealing with people who use an obvious handle /
pseudonym because then I don't wonder if that is really their name or if
they are trying to deceive me.

I have only been here a short time, but most of your posts seem more aimed
at making waves then building an encyclopedia.  But that is just my opinion.