[Wikipedia-l] Pseudonyms, etc.

Jaap van Ganswijk ganswijk at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 12 20:32:09 UTC 2002

At 2002-09-11 10:35 -0700, Julie Hofmann Kemp wrote:
>Seeing as how I'm a woman (or am I?  I could have been lying, I suppose), you all may want to discount this entirely, but here goes --
>
>Jaap (who may have taken on the name because he wants to be like a certain ex-Man Utd. Central defender) --
>
>Here's a funny thing.  You seem to want people to use their own names on the site, and resent KQ's using a pseudonym, while I, who have never used a pseudonym here and even, when asked, provided my credentials, have been: 1) accused of perhaps not being who I say I am and perhaps even of falsely stating my credentials, and; 2) told that, if I am upset that my name is connected with articles I don't find reflect my professional standards, I should perhaps use a pseudonym.
>
>It's a funny ol'world, ain't it?
>
>As for the rest, I'm not that interested in defending myself against silly statements.  Make all you want: it only helps to add to the compendium of knowledge that helps us all consider our sources more wisely.
>
>Jules (a nickname reflecting my true given name of Julie)

Hi Julie,

It's very clear that you're a woman. Men would feel very uncomfortable
displaying so much insecurity. As regards what happened on Wikipedia:
You can't blame me for that, because I didn't do it. You could try to
blame men in general and I'm giggling in advance. (I don't mind
showing male weakness...) Anyway, if I were a tyrant running Wikipedia
and you would have asked me to intervene in your problem I would
probably have solved the question without anyone being able to
complain afterwards...

But luckily Wikipedia is not run by a tyrant...

Greetings,
Jaap