[Wikipedia-l] Watch this user

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 01:29:11 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 05:28 pm, LDC wrote:
> Why not just put a link to that user's contributions page
> on your user page?

Devil's advocate (that is, don't take me too seriously):
Then why do we have watch lists? We can simply put links to the articles we
want to watch on our user page. I'm currently watching a couple hundred pages
so in order to see what has been happening with those articles when I was
away from Wikipedia I would have to spend at least a couple of hours opening
each page and looking at its history each day (either that or look through
thousands of edits on Recent Changes). End Devil's advocate.

The whole point of my original idea was to quickly move many IPs off the IP
blocked list. In order to do this with a minimum amount of risk, some type of
"watch IP" functionality would be needed. Therefore if I temporarily block an
IP for posting vulgarities on several pages I would like to know when this IP
makes another edit after the block is lifted. This would be a type of
probation (liftable any time by any sysop).

My original idea was to have a separate Recent Changes of edits made my all
IPs on probation but simply having their IP bolded in the regular Recent
Changes would be a good idea too.

The reason I have not posted this to SorceForge is because this is a
policy-level feature request and needs to be discussed before it is even
considered for implementation.

The idea of having a general "watch user" function was not part of my
original idea (but should be easy to implement if the IP probation idea is
implemented). I don't know how useful general "watch user" function would be,
however. If the two functions lived side-by-side then it might be confusing
to differentiate between those IPs on probation and those users you simply
are interested in tracking.  Different colors would work I guess; bolded red
(or other warning color) for IPs on probation (this would be viewable to at
least every logged-in user) and simply bold for those on your personal 'watch
user' list (which is unique to your own settings).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)