[Wikipedia-l] Helga banned

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Mon Sep 9 21:47:58 UTC 2002

>> Was she tried before a competent judge? Or before a jury
>> of her peers?

Yes, on both counts.  We all bent over backwards to try
to help her become a useful contributor and gave her every
opportunity to state her side of the case.  But in the end,
her peers concluded that she was more a hindrance to the
project than a help, and our judge did what was necessary
to get our work done.

And I disagree that short bans of 2 days or so are of any
use; this isn't a punishment, really.  We're not just issuing
a slap on the wrist and saying "don't do that"--we've already
done that ad nauseam for a long time now.  She's already
gotten any message there was for her to get.  The ban is a
practical measure to allow the rest of us to simply edit
articles without having to waste any more time cleaning up
her messes.  That's not useful unless it's for a reasonable
period of time.