[Wikipedia-l] Helga banned

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Sep 9 17:19:10 UTC 2002

After much deliberation, and after due consideration for all of the
arguments and discussions here, and taking into account what appears
to me to be a general consensus, I have chosen to ban Helga for a
period of 3 months.

After that time, she can reapply to me personally for re-instatement.

I know that not everyone will be happy with this decision, although
the vast majority will be.  Such is the nature of consensus.  I can't
wait for unanimity, or we will wait forever.

I am fully aware of the dangers of precedent, which is why I have
waited so long to take action in this case.  Banning should always be
a "last resort".  After more than a year of trying to work with Helga,
and after losing more than one highly valued contributor because of
her, we are now at a last resort stage.

To my mind, the difficulty with Helga is not her idiosyncratic views
on history, but her inability or refusal to work co-operatively to
resolve differences.  Even here, on the mailing list, where I invited
her to discuss these issues, she prefers to ignore discussions about
her posting style in order to re-iterate accusations of censorship and
to repeat her strange historical claims.

In order to contribute to a restoration of the peace, I will be mostly
avoiding further public comment, although everyone who likes is more
than invited to write to me privately to support or decry this
decision.

Helga, in particular, is welcome to write to me to discuss this, but
there is really no appeal possible at this point.  The ban is not
permanent, and with good behavior, she can come back and try again in
3 months time.

--Jimbo