[Wikipedia-l] A related ban issue

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Mon Sep 9 17:45:24 UTC 2002

>> If too many casual or hit and run type vandals are banned that
>> we are likely banning the next users, not the vandal.

> That's true, but I think it just shows that we should clear
> the banlist from time to time.

I'd like to point out an anecdote you might not have known
about: a few days ago, a logged-in user started vandalizing
several pages relating to Australia.  I got his IP from the
logs and blocked it, and repaired the damage.  A few days
later, I got personal e-mail from that domain saying that the
IP address was a student terminal, the user in question had
been disciplined, and requested that I unblock the IP (which
I did, of course).

So I'd just like to say that even blocked users/IP do have
recourse.  We're all very reachable here.