[Wikipedia-l] Our officially anonymous software

Stephen Gilbert canuck_in_korea2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 17:42:09 UTC 2002

Fellow Wikipedians, I want to say that I am thoroughly
pleased with the current Wikipedia software. It is
stable, speedy and useful. I think it's time we gave
it a name other than "the Phase III software".

Back in the mists of Wikipedia history, two names were
proposed for the new Phase II software:

1. Larry Sanger suggested the name "Encyclode", which
stood for "Encyclopedia Code". Mr. Sanger himself
admitted this was a very lame attempt.

2. Jimbo Wales favoured "PediaWiki", so he could say
"Wikipedia runs on PediaWiki".

I sumbit these two for your consideration, but I hope
you don't consider them for very long. ;-)

I like the name "PhaseIII Wiki". It is in keeping with
Wikipedia history, and people won't have to get used
to a completely new name.

Any other suggestions?

Stephen Gilbert