[Wikipedia-l] The "Casio Effect"

Tesla Coil tescoil at ilbbs.com
Sun Sep 8 11:34:00 UTC 2002

On 4 Sep 2002, Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz wrote:
> There was a notion of teaming up groups of Wikipedians around
> some areas of Wikipedia content - operating systems, unix, punk
> rock or the Roman Empire.
>
> They should have some infrastructure (namespace ? mailing list ?)
> to rely on in order to coordinate, review and discuss. Not to
> mention do some planning and quality assurance.

What happened to this idea?  Against this suggestion, so much
talk of "experts" appears a wish that collective intelligence
will arrive as embodied by individuals and spare the problem
of acheiving better organization of it in social form.

I believe, however, that it would be more practical for SIGs
to be formed around wider topic areas than those cited above,
for example, "History" rather than "the Roman Empire."