[Wikipedia-l] A related ban issue

Giskart giskart at linux.be
Sun Sep 8 08:35:16 UTC 2002

Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>[cut]
>
>My understanding of how ip banning and common use of reassignment
>of IP numbers leads me to this concern:
>
>If too many casual or hit and run type vandals are banned that we
>are likely banning the next users, not the vandal.  This could be
>counterproductive if it occurs in conjunction with recruiting efforts
>or methods under discussion in other threads.
>
>For high school or college users to begin relying on the Wikipedia
>as a resource timely access is required due to homework deadlines,
>typically on the order of days or hours, not weeks.   Encountering
>frequent blocks due to local vandals on the same pool of IP addresses
>is likely to encourage the view that Wikipedia is unreliable, not
>that inappropriate local use is causing the problem.  If the user
>becomes aware that he/she is being punished for another's misdeeds
>this could form an even worse impression.

[cut]

I have not (yet) been banned so i do not realy know but the language
configurationfile says "

"blockiptext" => "Use the form below to block write access from a
specific IP address. This should be done only only to prevent
valndalism, and in accordance with [[Wikipedia:Policy|Wikipedia
policy]]. Fill in a specific reason below (for example, citing
particular pages that were vandalized)."

So your not realy blocking a user from accesing Wikipedia. He can still
read all the articels. He can only not change them. For making has
homework he does not need to change content.  -- giskart