[Wikipedia-l] Kooks and trolls: Rant about losing great contributors

Steve Callaway sjc at easynet.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 04:59:38 UTC 2002

I am a consulting project manager for a number of UK blue chip companies and
I have dispassionately asked myself the following simple question:

Which would I rather have working on a project to ensure its accurate and
timely execution: Julie Kemp or  Helga Hechts?

The answer I think is patently apparent. The amount of rework that Helga
causes seems more than  sufficient justification for me to advocate her
permanent removal. If we are not careful and persistent "Helgas" are not
either a) educated into the program or b) politely but requested to desist,
the damage to the project will be considerable. The amount of patience we
have demonstrated so far is disproportionate to the amount of damage and
disruption she has caused. It is time for her to go.

I would dread to think the amount of work which has been damaged and wasted
as a consequence of the intransigent behaviour of this alleged contributor
and I strongly feel that we either as a community wise up to her inherently
destructive behaviour or we do something about it. If it's a straight swap
and we can persuade Julie to come back by removing HH sine die, then that
would be a total win-win situation from my perspective (and no doubt those
others who contribute in the history areas). I would take that decision
unilaterally if I could, but this is a community thing. If we let Helga
stay, we lose Julie (maybe have already lost Julie for good). How many more
contributors of this calibre can we afford to alienate?

I am deeply upset about Julie's decision to pack it in but I can understand
her reasons and truth to tell I can't say I blame her. It is about time we
as a community show some backbone by showing Helga (very firmly) the door.

Steve Callaway