[Wikipedia-l] Kooks and trolls: Rant about losing great contributors

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 23:39:17 UTC 2002

>And then there are the problem cases,
>people like '24' and possibly Helga --
>these people aren't simple vandals, but
>neither are they getting with the program
>in a constructive way.  I reserve the right
of final banning on those cases to myself,
>although of course I'm probably too patient
>in seeking general consensus first.
>
>--Jimbo

I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but some of this
patience you and others (including me) have had could
very well have resulted in JHK's, Michael Tinkler's
and unknown other's leaving the project in disgust.

Our current lax enforcement of our etiquette policies
along with our tolerance of kooks and trolls seem
hostile to experts and many others -- no wonder we
keep driving them away.

I say we should be a bit more diligent in enforcing
our Wikipetiquette policy and in informing those who
would be kooks and trolls that their kooking (is that
a word?) and trolling is not welcome here. See
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipetiquette

I'm sick and tired of loosing good, no great,
contributors because of our lax attitude in these
matters.

This is just my opinion - take it or leave it. I'm
/not/ speaking as a sysop; I'm speaking as a greatly
annoyed Wikipedian who already misses working with
Jules (and who also worries about our history articles
being over-run by kooks now that JHK is gone).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)