[Wikipedia-l] Ban warning to GrahamN

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Sep 5 16:08:54 UTC 2002

I placed the following notice on GrahamN's user page:
----
Please refrain from giving your opinion in the Talk pages. Personal opinions of contributors are welcome in the MetaWikipedia (where, by the way, April is hosting a debate) -- as well as on your own User page.

Article talk pages are for discussion of how to improve the article. If there is a point of view (POV) that you happen to agree with, which you think ought to be represented in the article, then please focus on how to describe that POV. Avoid arguing for or against any POV. Instead, help your co-contributors to learn which proponents advocate the POV, and what reasons those advocates give.

For example, Joe Camel might say, "I hate Jews because they smell like lox." We need not debate how often an odor of lox is detectable in the vicinity of Jews (my Mom, who is Jewish, made me an excellent lox sandwich over Labor Day, by the way). We need not debate whether smelling like lox is a "good" reason to hate someone. All that matters is whether or not to mention Joe Camel's POV in some Wikipedia article. And if some contributor decides to describe that POV, we might debate the best choice of words to describe it.

This is a warning: any more personal or provocative remarks, and I will will ban you for a day. --Ed Poor, sysop
----

Ed Poor