[Wikipedia-l] Helga again

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Thu Sep 5 10:55:48 UTC 2002

Gareth Owen wrote:

> "Michael R. Irwin" <mri_icboise at surfbest.net> writes:
>
> > Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > >
> > > But, the Holocaust was undeserved.  That's as uncontroversial a fact as
> > > "The Earth goes around the Sun".
> >
> > Only if one considers a major World War beneath notice.  To me that seems a
> > bit controversial if one is presenting an NPOV as a neutral reporter.
>
> Excuse me, but perhaps you could enlighten me as to in what way the holocaust
> was deserved?

I do not think that I have asserted that it was deserved, merely
that many people were involved in helping create it.  Presumably
they believed it was deserved.  It has been my experience that
few people consider themselves the villians or perpetrators of
injustice.  It is usually the view of one faction that it is
the other side's fault and vice versa.

Thus it has been my assertion that at least some of the Germans
responsible for it (the Holocaust) probably felt it was deserved
and this (and reasons they provide regarding why they felt it
was deserved) could be reliably reported within the confines of
an "NPOV" presentation of the facts surrounding the holocaust.