[Wikipedia-l] Re: Militia Call-out request -- also on my talk page

Julie Hofmann Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 21:40:22 UTC 2002

Thanks for checking out the pix, Anthere.  I was aware that Jules in
French is masculine -- when I speak French (somewhat execrably), I'm
Julie.  With fellow wikipedians, I pretty much answer to anything.   I'm
going to attempt to go into lurk mode so I can get some work done --
although we all know that I'm not so good at that.

Still, at the moment, I think we have a clear case of why so-called
experts might drop off the site.  It's physically and emotionally
exhausting trying to defend a reputation rather than to make one -- or
to make the wrong kind.    Once your name is on an article, you feel a
bit of responsibility to make sure the article remains good --
especially in case your colleges see your name attached.

One of the things I love about this place is the people and the
community (the one ark denied existed).   I've found it very supportive
for the most part, and I've learned something from almost everyone I've
worked with,   mostly because the people who write good articles are
experts at learning enough about something to write good articles.   I
think that that is the kind of expertise that a good education brings,
no matter the level of (or lack of) degree.

Jules (Fr. Julie)