[Wikipedia-l] The "Casio Effect" (something to chew on)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 12:11:47 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 04:34 pm, LDC wrote:
> They certainly could, but only in their capacity as vetted,
> recognized, and fully identified experts.  Nupedia's function,
> then, is precisely the selection of appropriate experts to review
> articles in certain areas.  This could be by reviewing academic
> credentials in some areas, professional credentials in others, or
> by whatever means are felt appropriate for things like games and
> hobbies.  Such reviews would be themselves fully credited and not
> editable, and attached to the article they describe, but the
> subject article itself would remain fully editable.

I like this idea - it just may work. What would be needed of course would be
a good deal of integration between Wikipedia and Nupedia. A link in in the
non-editable part of a Wikipedia page in the article namespace might say;
"View the last review of this article". Clicking on that link will bring you
to Nupedia's review of the Wikipedia article with maybe the exact text of the
version of the Wikipedia article reviewed on the left and the review on the
right (with maybe reviewer made highlights, numbering, underlining and other
markup in the copied Wikipedia article).

Another important thing to have would be the exact revision number, date and
time of the Wikipedia article along with a cur link (that way somebody could
easily see what, if any, edits have been made to the Wikipedia article since
it was reviewed).

Just some thoughts - take them or leave them (remember I really only care
about results not any particular process -- please do think of something even
better).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)