[Wikipedia-l] The groundrules for a discussion with Helga

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Sep 3 14:40:25 UTC 2002

This is an unmoderated list, and I'm not about to moderate it to enforce
these ground rules.  So these are unenforceable rules, but in the wiki spirit,
I think that if people see the rationale for them, they will be followed.

1.  We aren't here to debate German history, the Holocaust, Poland,
etc.  So let's not do that, except if ABSOLUTELY necessary.

2.  We are here to discuss with Helga the problems people are having
with her biased writing.

3.  We are not here (at this time!) to debate the NPOV policy.  That
is, this particular discussion will not end with me saying "Oh, I
don't care, everyone just go nuts and write whatever you want."  Or
anything similar.

4.  While integrating Helga into our community would be nice, I don't
consider it a primary goal here.  My current view is that Helga needs
to straighten up or go away, enforced by a ban if necessary.

5.  A part of this needs to involve a solid commitment by all of us
that we DO NOT SEEK to cover up any valid information that Helga may
have and want to see treated in the wikipedia.  If she wants to have
an article about the Daily Express thing, we should find a way to
accomodate her.

6.  Helga should NOT accuse people of trying to cover anything up.
That's a personal insult.  At the same time, of course, we should not
insult Helga in any way.  She's been kind enough to come before a very
hostile court of opinion here, so we should be kind enough to listen.

--Jimbo