[Wikipedia-l] what was the eventual decision on citynames?

Tesla Coil tescoil at ilbbs.com
Mon Sep 2 18:02:27 UTC 2002

On 2 Sept 2002, Andre Engels wrote:
> As far as I can judge it, the following rules seem to have gotten majorities:
>
> * Normal rules on disambiguation apply: When there is no need to disambiguate
>  (that is, if there is no other subject with the same name, nor likely to
>   come into existence soon, or when the city is clearly the most important
>   subject under its title), we use simply [[City]].

Which, if any, is the ideal form among these examples?

1). [[Madrid]] redirects to [[Madrid, Spain]].  For other uses,
    see [[Madrid (disambiguation)]]

2). [[Paris, France]] redirects to [[Paris]].  For other uses,
    see [[Paris (disambiguation)]]

3). [[Athens, Greece]] redirects to [[Athens]]; disambiguation at
    the bottom of the page.  (A note of irony here: Athens, Greece
    has received a less substantial article than [[Athens, Ohio]]).