[Wikipedia-l] Expert quality

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Sep 2 08:53:43 UTC 2002

an aside on the subject of expert quality:

There are certain topic areas where amateurs *know* they are out of
their depth,and only the likes of Mr "relativity is wrong" Jones dare to
tread.

In other areas, *everybody* thinks they know something. Take Music: I
have found most of the articles on music theory to be of sloppy quality;
they appeared to be written by people who half-remembered stuff from
chilhood piano lessons. I and several others (Camembert, JFQuackenbush)
have lately been rewriting them. Stuff like Note Pitch, the various
scales, etc -- all much improved, but still, I hope, comprehensible to
the lay person.
contrast with Nupedia: there's just an article on "atonality", which is
largely incomprehensible.

The problem with "experts" is that they don't want to write about the
basics. I doubt I would have wanted to bother with writing about "major
scale", or "key signature" but finding the page in such a state
compelled me to do something about it.

Another point on stubs: my 1100 page Oxford Companion to Music has about
12 lines on the Glockenspiel -- about the same as Wikipedia. Some
subjects will probably always be stubs.