[Wikipedia-l] Potential forking of Wikipedia

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Mon Sep 2 04:04:51 UTC 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Stephen Gilbert wrote:

> --- Karl Juhnke <yangfuli at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > First let me reiterate what I think you are saying,
> > so if I am again
> > missing the point, at least you will know what I am
> > responding to.  You
> > want to have some articles taken out of the domain
> > of the collectively
> > editable, and put into a space (say ExpertWikipedia)
> > where they are
> > maintained exclusively by some expert or experts.
>
> No, not quite. He said that Wikipedia should remain
> *unchanged*. The articles would be copied, not moved.

And, moreover, I'm bewildered at the suggestion that what I was proposing
was a "fork."  If anything, Wikipedia is a fork of Nupedia.  We started in
February 2000 with Nupedia.  It grew moribund for a variety of reasons,
not least of which was that my time in 2001 was increasingly spent on
Wikipedia instead of Nupedia.  You could say that I propose reviving a
version of Nupedia.

I recommend having a look at http://www.nupedia.com/ .  A lot of the
information is outdated (because the project is currently "on hold" at
best).

I'll have to observe what transpires on the list and reply to the rest
later!

Larry