[Wikipedia-l] proposal of quality controll system for wikipedia

Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz kpj at kki.net.pl
Sun Sep 1 18:56:45 UTC 2002

On 01-09-2002, Giskart wrote thusly :
> Daniel Mayer wrote:
> >Or we can simply revisit the idea of Beta/Stable; whereby some type of
> >process validates an article. Having another level of validation through
> >Nupedia would also be a good thing. In that way Nupedia would be a
> >distribution of Wikipedia in the same way as Red Hat is a distribution of
> >Linus' Linux and the GNU tools.
> What do you think of this:
> You give to the articels a classification. You can hide or exclude
> articels whit a specific classification in your preferences.
[classification snip]
> Giskart
Some thoughts.
1. there's a potentially dangerous situation that :
   a) we will never have enough experts
   b) experts will go into lengthy disputes that will cause their number
   to become 0
2. there should/could be another phase - a "scientifically valid" article
   - properly _referenced_ and reflecting state-of-the-art in a given field
3. High brow and low brow - there's a huge gap between what is
   scientifically valid and what is comprehensible to lay public

All in all, I have doubts that this plan will work. I think Wikipedia would
be better off with enthusiasts than with experts. Have we learnt anything from the Nupedia vs Wikipedia lesson ?

Regards,
kpjas