[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Feature Proposal: Certification

erik_moeller at gmx.de erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Oct 31 23:09:00 UTC 2002

Matthew,

> If you allow significant changes to be hidden from you, you will have
> to get used to pages changing wildly when you press the 'edit the
> latest version' button

in general I would not suggest using the certified mode if you plan to do
edits (*if* we want to have it as a mode at all, and not just optional
information displayed on the page linking to the last certified revision).
That is also the reason I think it should never be the default. A cert
mode is good primarily for two purposes:

  * Using Wikipedia as a reader only : not everyone is a contributor, some
people never will be, and Wikipedia hopefully will be also distributed in
non-interactive form (paper, CD-ROM etc). Even contributors sometimes are
just looking for good, trustworthy information. While being friendly to
writers, we should also be friendly to readers. The certified mode, while
optional, seems like a good way to showcase our hardest and best work.
  * Using the cert system to find current low quality revisions that need
work. This is something I had not originally intended, but which seems to
make sense -- random page is only so helpful, *especially* if most of our
articles are actually of high quality at some point in the future.

I understand concerns about the certified mode, it is not a core part of
my proposal, but I would really like to send my Mom a link to a Wikipedia
article knowing that she won't accidentally she the notorious goat-man.
Still, the proposal would function without it, and we could decide to only
do actual Wikipedia-wide filtering in Wikipedia offsprings (other media,
other sites etc.).

Regards,

Erik