[Wikipedia-l] Certification

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Thu Oct 31 22:30:00 UTC 2002

Hi Larry, hi list!

> As I've made clear already, I'm all for trying to find a way vouchsafe
the
> reliability of those of our articles that actually are reliable.
We've
> just got to make sure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot doing it!

Yes! As you and many other have already said, it's better do this in a
separate project.

There's another reason that hasn't been mentioned (I think): Every sort
of certification procedure makes Wikipedia more complicated. Even if
it's (another) option in the preferences for logged in users, the
results of the procedure would be shown to the passing by surfer (with a
"flag" or whatever). Otherwise it would be useless. And it's not just a
word, it's a whole new concept that you introduce this way.

But Wikipedia is already far too complicated! Please don't compare
Wikipedia to Photoshop, Emacs, or your favorite complicated computer
application, but to the good old UseMod software. I love all the new
features we gained through the new software, but as a compromise between
the editors and the only-readers (but could become editors) we're at the
point where for every new feature on the screen an old one must go away.
IMO, of course.

Or better two. How about making the special pages drop down box a user
option?

Kurt