[Wikipedia-l] Feature Proposal: Certification

elian elian at gmx.li
Wed Oct 30 23:45:33 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> writes:

> In summary, I don't see why you think this is *necessary*,
> but it'd be nice to be able to refer to certified versions
> if I want to get a specific trusted group's opinion on something.
> I can't imagine every surfing Wikipedia with a restricted view,
> but I can certainly imagine checking out the certified versions.
> I just hope that participating in this is always *optional*,
> never *default* (at the main Wikipedia site).

I was also thinking about ways of establishing a sort of quality
control for the future. Random article, an overfull recentchanges, pages
needing attention and search for short articles may not ever suffice for
quality control.

Why not put a little rating system (which could be turned on or off in
user settings) below each article?
four checkboxes:
- major improvements needed (pure stub or really bad article...)
- minor improvents needed (some information missing, bad spelling or style...)
- fine article
- excellent article

People looking for articles to work on could consult a function which
lists articles with bad ratings
People looking for excellent articles could call a opposite function.

This would serve as a future, easier to handle equivalent of "pages
needing attention" and "excellent articles"  (without necessarily
giving these pages up)

If we do rating, let's do it the wiki way ;-)

greetings,
elian