[Wikipedia-l] Copyright violations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 30 22:43:50 UTC 2002

>>The sections added to the GNU FDL document have nothing to do with "fair
>>use"; they are original work.
>>

>You misunderstand, I wsa trying to give an example which the "fair
>use" doctrine could be used to exploit the GNU FDL. I could write a
>document on my computer and then incorporate parts of that document as
>"fair use" into the GNU FDL articles, no-one else would then be able to
>modify those sections as they wouldn't be licenced under the GNU FDL.

Let me see if I'm misunderstanding this correctly!  Are you suggesting
that you could take an extract from your own previously unpublished
original work and claim that the extract was subject to "fair use"
rules?  IMHO it seems that fair use doesn't apply because you already
have the permission of the original author.  Who could you  (as author
and copyright owner) possibly sue for copyright violation?  The simple
act of putting the material on Wikipedia is what would trigger the
application of GNU FDL.  Your reasoning would make it impossible for
anybody to edit anything at all on Wikipedia, and that seems contrary to
the basic intent of the project.

Rclecticology