[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia photo squad?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 19:16:17 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 10:35 am, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org
wrote:
> Sounds good. I'm leaving South Korea, but I have an
> ameteur photographer friend staying behind, and she
> just bought a scanner. She's agreed to release many of
> her pictures under the GFDL.
>
> Stephen

Correct me if am I wrong somebody but I do believe that an image copyright
holder has the right to keep a restrictive copyright on a full resolution
image AND also spin off lower resolution versions under other less
restrictive licenses.

So for example I could take a digital photo at 1600 x 1200 pixels which is
automatically under a restrictive license and then create a downsized,
cropped, and web-friendly version at 250 x 200 and release the smaller
version under the GFDL or even into the public domain.

If this is in fact true then we should tell Wikipedia photographers that they
can keep a restrictive license on their high resolution originals if they
want.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)